Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Gearing Up for Lent


I started this blog last Lent to help fulfill my Lenten obligations. It was the first year I felt that I really tried to keep a holy Lent. This year I feel that I have been preparing my home, my heart, and my mind for this season. Several weeks ago, an online friend posted that she wasn't ready to put 'Alleluia' away yet. I was completely shocked that Lent would soon be upon us. I decided it was time to get my keester  in gear.

I began to think about what I was going to do for Lent. I'm pretty bad a giving things up so, I find it more productive to bring myself closer to God by doing something. The first step was to gather resources that would assist my family and I on our Lenten journey. I gathered a book of Lenten Family Meal Time Prayers, Lenten Family Practices, a children's stations of the cross book, and Welcome Risen Jesus. For myself, I gathered my Maryknoll Book of Prayer, Praying with Saint Matthew's Gospel, and 100 Things Every Catholic Teen Should Know (because I feel like I don't know everything I should know.) This Lent, I am going to simplify our lives. I'm going to get rid of material items we definitely don't need to pair down to the essentials. I am going to work towards getting to daily Mass/ adoration at least once a week. I am going to donate to our parish food pantry (something we've wanted to do for awhile but, keep putting off).

Tonight, after we finished consuming our Mardi Gras dinner, I filled a bag of clothes and a box of books to donate tomorrow on our way home from Mass. I felt like it was a nice way to begin the Lenten season by eliminating some of the physical clutter in our life. I will continue to fill bags and boxes to simplify our life so we can better focus on what is truly important. Our time shouldn't be so consumed by the "things" in our life rather our time should be spent growing closer to God as a family.  Before bed, I'll add our Lenten family activities to our family calender.

Tomorrow, I will make our prayer space (my dresser top) ready for Lent. (I will change the cloth to purple, add a plain grape vine wreath, and purple candles.) I would ideally love to do the whole Lenten cross candle thing on Catholic Icing but, I'm not sure that I have the supplies. I'm excited for Lent. I know it is a somber time but the potential for spiritual growth this liturgical season is enormous and I'm ready!






No comments:

Post a Comment